Sunday, November 20, 2011

The South African Sojourn: Its Ayoba Time!

The next series of posts on this blog will be about our trip to South Africa during the 2010. The vacation was possibly the greatest experience of my life so far. I hope to share some of that with you through the series of posts that will follow. Food being an essential aspect of travel will receive adequate coverage, the memorable culinary experiences will be there but will not be the center piece of the posts (at least in most cases).
The posts will be day wise about our experiences. This will hopefully be sufficient to communicate as to what it was like visiting one of the more diverse, beautiful and politically volatile countries of the world while it was hosting of the greatest celebrations in sport and I would venture to say of mankind in general. Viva Africa! Viva Jogo Bonito! FIFA 2010 was definitely Ayoba time! (to translate that into English, it was Celebration time!)
The three things about South Africa 2010 that will stay with me for my life:
1. The joyous congregation of so many nations at one place - Over ten days I interacted with people of close to 30 countries all united by their love of football.
2. The people of South Africa and the ownership displayed by one and all to pull together and make for a great host.
3. Watching the Albiceleste in the famous Blue and White and the Selecao in vibrant yellow play live in front of my eyes while I was pinching myself and thanking God for being granted the opportunity.
Hope you will enjoy the series of posts. Hope to see you for Brazil 2014!

No comments: