Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bistro Grill, Hiranandani, Powai - Paradise Lost

Bistro Grill was till a year back one of my favorite Mumbai restaurants. It was in Juhu where a fancy upmarket hotel now stands and it was no more than a shack. It was easily one of the most hard core food joints in Mumbai. No more than 7 or 8 plastic chairs in front of an oven where you could see that around 4 or 5 whole chickens being roasted. To me that presented a surreal sight. The chickens were tasty and the fact that you got the same on the road added to the taste-buds delight. One could order whole barbecued chickens for Rs 250 ans it was right up there with the more Value for Money non veg food options in Mumbai. At that point of time I also was not a Shawarma fan (which I am now big time), and they had a pretty decent Shawarma option as well.
Then one fine day we found the 4 seasons and we mourned the fact that Bistro Grill was no more. The mourning was over once we saw take aways ads in Powai. The Bistro was back with Shawarmas being ordered regularly, though the chickens were not being barbequed in full view, we were still happy.
Then the Bistro moved upmarket, we saw that they had moved from Powai and had opened a restaurant. I fell out of love with Bistro Grill, the day we had dinner there. No plastic chairs, No live oven, the Bistro Grill was a plush lounge. Quite frankly, I really do not care about the food which I guess is and would still be quite good. It would definitely be more comfortable, great for a romantic evening and I am sure they will do well with higher margins. Maybe those who have not visited the outlet in Juhu will rave and rant and salivate...but I wont. Not unless the same format as what was there in Juhu is back. Maybe a Bistro Cattle Class? I hope so but unlikely... You don't advertise in bus backs if you are opening a VFM format. Go there... As the Bus Back Ad says "Sheesh Taouk tastes like Shees Taouk" but I won't. I will continue to miss the food and yes, even the ambiance of the Juhu outlet.
A meal for two at the High End Bistro Grill will cost you Rs 450 without drinks.
How to get there: Bistro Grill is in Hiranandani Gardens Powai. If you are going towards D-Mart from Hirco. Take the right from the circle. Bistro Grill will be on your left.

No comments: