Friday, May 28, 2010

Shalimaar, Bandra

The name Shalimar is the name of one of the more famous Mumbai restaurants, not this outlet in Bandra but the more famous one in Mohammad Ali Road, with its highly renowned Raan Biriyani - a pleasure that I have yet to experience... but more on that if and when that treat befalls me. I have had the regular Biriyani there but it has not really set me salivating. Anyways more on that later.

Shalimar, on Linking Road Bandra, although having the same name does not proclaim to be part of the same chain. The rather guarded waiter when asked curtly replied that it was owned by a cousin of the more famous Muhammad Ali road outlet. I was there with a colleague of mine - a meat lover and we ordered two dishes I do not usually choose. First (and don't think I have gone mad) Chilli Garlic Prawns as starters, and the second Nalli Gosht. Both were rather surprising in their own ways.

Chilli Garlic Prawns - Although an incredibly strange order in a Muslim restaurant. The same is almost blasphemy (like ordering curd in a chinese joint), however for the second time running - I had also had the same at Persian Durbar, pretty good and the best value for money for the same dish in Mumbai. I have to write here that I have yet to bring myself to order the same as it is still just to blasphemous but if by chance you chance upon it - it will be one of the most value for money prawn items you have ever had.

Nalli Gosht - The dish was fantastic and is easliy one of the better regular mutton preparations, non - Kebab that I have had at restaurants. Not too spicy, and very very tasty. The dish went a long way to dispelling my abhorrence of ordering regular mutton curries at restaurants. Definitely a must have if you are yearning for a good mutton curry in and around Bandra.

A meal for two at Shalimar, Bandra will cost you approximatey Rs 250/-

How to get there: Shalimar is on Linking Road Bandra, very near the Shoppers Stop. It is on the opposite side of the road. If you are traveling from Khar to Bandra you have to cross Shoppers Stop. The restaurant falls on the other footpath of Linking Road on your right. It falls before Persian Durbar which is on your left.

No comments: