Saturday, May 8, 2010

Nice Fast Food Corner, Santacruz West, Mumbai

Mumbai! The city never stops surprising (I am talking positive surprises here) you, and fortunately neither does its cuisine. I have to admit I have been a big critic of Mughali food options in Mumbai... The city unlike Delhi does not have outstanding Galouti kebab in all localities. Mumbai biriyani is not liked by my palate and the aroma is not as appetising as the ubiquitous Shiraz, Aminia, Zeeshan biriyanis all across Kolkata. Not often can one afford to sample the heavenly servings of Dumpukht at the ITC Grand Maratha and other 5 star restaurants of similar ilk.
However, as I have found out, the city DOES have its share of outstanding Mughlai food joints and Nice Fast food corner is just one of those joints. Nice is a shack - closed by day and open only in the evenings like the more famous Bade Miyan in Colaba. My theory is that it is a guarded secret of the hard core Mumbaikar foodie (like my friend Khusru) who only share the information with fellow club members.
The place does not reek of hygiene - it is a roadside shack. There is no seating. You can either have the food in your car or use the bonnet as a table. You can stand and hog or as I did, you can get the food home. I ordered Baida Paratha, Sheekh Kebabs, Mutton Tikka and Khiri. The Baida Paratha is the Mumbaiya Moghlai Paratha and was very good at Nice. A decent quantity of mutton and not too oily. The Sheekh was good, though I have never really been a Sheek fan... What blew me out of my mind was however the Mutton Tikka and the Khiri. The Mutton Tikka was as good a Tikka as I have ever tasted (no hyperbole). The Khiri, which I was tasting for the first time was soft and tender and absolutely delicious though obviously it is a dish not for the faint of heart for obvious reasons. I wish I could have sampled the Chicken Tangdi and other servings but that was all my appetite could permit. Overall I would put Nice right up there with Bade Miyan on the list of Mughlai non-veg options in Mumbai, it does not have the Bheja which will make ravenous trips to Colaba still worth my while but the Mutton Tikka is outstanding and that is something that Bade Miyan just does not have... Nice Fast Food Corner is definitely a jewel in Mumbai's culinary crown. Here is hoping that I manage to discover a lot more.
A meal for two at Nice will cost you either Rs 120 to Rs 160. Two plates of Baida Paratha and one plate of Mutton Tikka should make for a quick dinner. If you are hungry order two plates. Almost every item at Nice is priced at Rs 40.
How to get there: Nice fast food corner is open only in the evenings and is on S V Road. If you are driving from Parle to Bandra the shack will fall to your left. It is right beside Five- the more famous continental restaurant.

No comments: