Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cafe Goa, Bandra

I love pork. I love spicy food. I therefore totally love Goan food. Goans and I have heard the North East people know and cook pork the best and the Goan Pork sausage is I think one of the all time greatest preparations mankind has ever conceived of.
When I heard of Cafe Goa, I though my prayers of having a decent Goan food restaurant closer than Goa Portuguesa had been answered but I came back, happy because Goan food can never be bad but disappointed as the search for a really good quality Value for Money restaurant had still to be answered.
Cafe Goa is located where Trafalgar Chowk used to be. It is really out of the way, so much so that the claim to be Bandra's best kept secret. I hope the place does well in the evening because we went on a Saturday afternoon, peak lunch hour and there were hardly any people in the restaurant. Throughout the time we were there we only saw one couple enter and sit down for food and that is a clear signal that something was amiss. That something is Value for money, the food is not bad but it is too expensively priced and just not worth it.
We sampled the Goan Pork Sausages and some Pork Vindaloo with rice. The Goan Pork sausages were good. There were nice cubes of potato and the pork was cooked well - potato is a key component of Pork sausages according to me and thankfully the potatoes were present in the Cafe Goa version. The Vindaloo was also nice without being outstanding. It was a bit too sweet for my liking. Overall decent food but not a secret than Bandra is dying to reveal.
A meal for two at Cafe Goa will cost you Rs 650/-
How to get there: You have to go up the lane past the ICICI Bank at the Mehboob Studio circle and ask people as to where the restaurant is. The address says it is off St. John Baptist road but you really have to do a lot of asking.

No comments: